The Eastern Gate (Oostpoort) in Delft, Netherlands - part of history preserved until today

In 1246 the Dutch Earl Willem II announce Delft a city. In the early Middle Ages Delft was surrounded on all sides by a high wall. From outside the city were surrounded by a large moat, who served as an additional safety equipment. Eight main gates interrupt the fortified wall of the city and are used to crossing over exterior moat as a bond with other cities and the rest of the country. The gates can be traversed on foot and horse, can transport goods. The largest of the eight gates was Waterslootse Poort. The others of the old city gates of Delft - Schiedamse and Rotterdamse on the south, Haagpooort and Wateringse Poort on the north, two small gates - Koepoort and Schoolpoort were destroyed in the 19th century.

Until today there is only one of the former city gates - The Eastern Gate (Oostpoort) in Delft. The Eastern Gate was first built port and is located close to the home where he spent his adolescence one of the greatest scientists of the Netherlands, considered the father of microbiology, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (Thonius Philips van Leeuwenhoek). The initial name of the gate was St. Catherina's Gate. The East Gate was built around 1400 of red brick and is typical Brick Gothic architecture. Around 1510 the towers have been improved with additional octagonal floors, ending with sharp spitzs. The Eastern Gate is further strengthened after Willem of Orange moved its seat in Delft. Reserved only a small part of the fortification walls connected to the East Gate.

Between 1962 and 1964 the interior of the East Gate was restored and converted into a double studio house. Later, a part of the space in the Gate is opened as an exhibition area. Today, The Eastern Gate in Delft is one of the landmarks of the city and its shape can be recognized from afar with soaring over the waters of the old channel high spiers. One romantic place in Delft, filled with a lot of history!

Related images

Related links