- Upload Info
- Upload image
- Upload video
uploaded by: Zlaty
Description: Mitra of the Ohrid Archbishops
XVII-XVIII centuries, gold, silver, gilt, glass, enamel and encrusted with 350 precious stones.
The Bulgarian Archbishopric of Ohrid was established in 1018 by decree of the Byzantine Emperor Basil II and was closed in 1767 by decision of the Constantinople Patriarchate.
After the fall of Bulgaria under Byzantine rule in 1018 it was declared autocephalous Bulgarian Archbishopric based of Ohrid, the then Bulgarian capital and headquarters of the Bulgarian Patriarch.
Provenance: Church of St. Clement of Ohrid, Ohrid
Presented by: National Museum of History (NMH), Sofia, Bulgaria
Source of information: NMH - Sofia
photo - personal archive
Author (source) of image: Personal archive